(reference for when i am trying to explain these to people and they are looking at me like “huh”):
- the Bechdel test: does the story have a) more than one women, b) who talk to each other, c) about something other than a man.
- the Ellen Willis test: if you flip the genders, does the story still make sense?
- the Sexy Lamp test (courtesy of Kelly Sue DeConnick): can you replace your female character with a sexy lamp and still have the story work? if yes, YOU ARE A HACK.
- the Mako Mori test: there is a) at least one female character, b) who gets her own narrative arc, c) that is not about supporting a man’s story.
- the Tauriel test (which i made up in response to The Hobbit 2 [which passes] and Skyfall [which fails]): a) there is a woman, b) WHO IS GOOD AT HER JOB.
and in justification of my recent TV obsessions, i would like to note that Scandal, The Vampire Diaries, Buffy, and Nikita (ALL HAIL MAGGIE Q) pass all of these tests with flying colors.
UPDATE: i just discovered the Finkbeiner test and it is FANTASTIC.
FURTHER UPDATE: these were noted by oranges8hands and are EXCELLENT and add some much-needed intersectionality:
The Deggans Rule: a) At least two POC characters in the main cast, b) in a show that’s not about race.
The Racial Bechdel Test (I first saw it laid out by Alaya Dawn Johnson): a) it has two POC in it, b) who talk to each other, c) about something other than a white person
and then I offered an amendment to the Bechdel test: d) both women have to be alive at the end
story time when i was 16 my mom and i were watching ellen and my mom says
‘oh look my favorite lesbian!’
and i said ‘i thought i was your favorite lesbian?’
and she just stared at me for a moment and said
‘oh ok. ‘
and we just continued watching
and thats how i came out to my mother
this is beautiful
This is great
This guy stopped watching porn — and he wants you to know why. Gender activist Ran Gavrieli felt that most of the images he saw in porn encouraged negative, even violent, attitudes toward women, despite a recent wave of feminist porn. So he pulled the plug, and found that his personal sex life and private fantasies became much more fulfilling.
In his talk at TEDxJaffa, he advocates for physically and emotionally-safe sex, as well as erotica that shows a wider range of fulfilling sexual experiences — including the intimacy of human connection, laughter, and touch. Watch his talk here.
There are plenty of ex porn stars who have said pretty much the same based on their experiences in the industry, like Danielle “Queen B” Williams. Yet there are people in these notes behaving like this guy doesn’t know what he’s talking about and is a sex negative asshole instead of someone who’s actually actively removing himself from contributing to an industry that overwhelmingly exploits women. He’s making the effort to stop funding and participating in sexploitation and human trafficking and people are behaving like he’s being a terrible human being.
1. Those tigers look thin.
2. Zoos are fucking stupid.
3. Capturing wild animals and using them for human entertainment is a super shitty thing to do.
4. This is not cool.
This is abuse and horrible. Zoos are prisons.
Some zoos only take old animals to where they are given an easy life. Their maintenance is funded by people coming into the zoo.
Those tigers are not thin.
"Zoos are fucking stupid" wow such science you sold me
They weren’t captured for this purpose, they probably weren’t captured at all, it’s called rescuing.
This is cool.
This is not abuse, it’s actually exercise if you think about it.
Zoos are not prisons. Zoos allow us to rescue animals, research them, and protect them from hunters and the dangers that we, as humans, impose on them.
I’m so done with all the shit about zoos on my fucking dash.
Zoos literally save animals every day so why don’t you do your freaking research.
This comment is perfect^
Animals come to zoos as a result of
- being born captive
- getting injured in the wild and rescued to live a healthy life in captivity
- being rescued from black market dealers, private collectors, or the like who decide that they can no longer care for the animals or who had been illegally keeping the animals
- being in a breeding program to increase their numbers because the animal is endangered in the wild
If you knew anything about tigers at all, you’d know that they are endangered in the wild due to poaching and hunting. It is of utmost importance that their numbers increase, or they will go extinct within the next fifty years. I don’t know what zoo this is so I don’t know their reputation, but the tigers look healthy, and this tug-of-war is good for them because some animals get stressed in zoos when they are bored. This isn’t solely to entertain zoo guests, it is to give the tigers something fun to do.
Zoos do not snatch animals from the wild without a good reason. If you want to protest animal captivity, go to SeaWorld and protest the orcas being kept there, they are far too large to belong in such cramped spaces and they are solely kept for entertainment.
Thank you and good day.